Fort Stewart, GA MuseumsLiberty County:
The Midway Museum is an 18th century raised cottage house dedicated to the preservation of Liberty County history through artifacts and documents. The house itself is furnished in the typical style of Civil War era homes. The Midway Church, also on the grounds, was built in 1756, burned and rebuilt in 1792.
The Geechee Kunda Cultural Center allows visitors to learn about and explore the history and culture of the Coastal Georgia African people who have lived in the area for hundreds of years. Artifacts and exhibits include art, tools, textiles, and other objects from the 1700-1900s. The center offers classes, lectures, and workshops as well as special events.
The Fort Stewart Museum is located on-post and shares over 5,000 objects relating to the history of the largest military installation east of the Mississippi River, including uniforms, weapons, helicopters, tanks, and photographs.
The Fort Morris State Historic Site served as a major defense of Savannah and the Medway River during The French and Indian War, American Revolution, War of 1812, and the Civil War. The first fort in the area was built in 1741 and more were added or renovated over the years. Civilian and military artifacts from the area are housed in its museum.
The Dorchester Academy African American History Museum was started in 1869 as a school for freed slaves and today remains a tribute and museum of African American history. The academy was used for meetings about what would become the Birmingham March, an early Civil Rights victory.
The Telfair Museum of Art was the South's first public art museum, founded in 1883. It is made up of 3 buildings: the Telfair Academy which houses 19-20th century American and European art; the Owens-Thomas House which is one of the country's leading displays of English Regency architecture; and the Jepson Center of contemporary art.
Old Fort Jackson is Georgia's oldest standing brick fortification and one of only 8 forts still standing that were built before the War of 1812. Fort Jackson, named for Georgia Governor James Jackson, is located along the Savannah River and was used during the War of 1812 and the Civil War. The original cannon is still there and the entire fort is remarkably well-preserved.
Juliette Gordon Low's Birthplace is the family home of Juliette Gordon Low who founded the Girl Scouts in 1912. The house was built in 1821 and has been restored with many original Gordon family furnishings. This was Savannah's first National Historic Landmark.
The Tybee Island Light Station was built in 1732 and is Georgia's oldest and tallest lighthouse and one of the most intact light stations in the country. The lighthouse is located on Tybee Island, just off the coast of Savannah and is driving accessible.